Aug 29, 2005

Boy I'm Old!

Again a trip home, again lots of time to contemplate about everything. Although this time my reverie was broken intermittently by Three Men in a Boat and Nature in her full glory after the monsoons.
I could go on rambling about the serenity of cranes wading through emerald green paddy fields, the sharpness of the features of an absolutely perfect blue-green kingfisher on a telegraph pole. But then again these things are better expressed by a poet or a photographer.
Ah! The book. I think hype killed the book for me. Hype and the British sense of humour which somehow escapes me completely. Otherwise it is quite a decent read(people might feel that I have grossly underrated the book, but the again, to each his own)
Ya the point of this blog is not to give an account of the trip from Bhubaneswar to Kgp on Dhauli express(I'll write about it when its time to say goodbye to Kgp and I make my final Dhauli Express trip). The point is detailed in the following paragraphs.

Just as I had settled down with my book, a teenage guy(first of all it surprises me that I'm not one of them anymore!) opened a Elements of Co-ordinate Geometry by S.L.Loney and started underlining certain sections of it. It wasn't difficult for me to understand his motivation for doing so, so I smiled to myself and buried my face in the book(something tells me the build up I've made up might well end up disappointing the reader so please drop any expectations of a particularly fitting ending). Soon light conversation followed, initiated by him, and soon inevitably. much to my resistance. it came out that I was indeed an IITian. To which he asked "which batch" and lowering my voice a wee bit I said "I appeared JEE in 2001". The guy rolled up his eyes and said "that's five years ago!". On which I did a slight mental calculation, when I came to Kgp, this guy would have been in class 7. Class 7!!! Can you imagine that. Class 7 for God's sake. I don't have words to express how I felt. Except that I never felt older in my whole life. Thats it, don't say I dissapointed you , you had been warned.

9 comments:

  1. ya that feeling is catching up fast dude...a very hollow feeling that i can't pretend to be young any longer...i'm being drawn into this adult world much faster than i'd like to and i've no way of stopping myself...its like being sucked into a whirlpool with the knowledge that i'll go round n round for ages till i die without being offered the chance of shifting to calmer waters ever again...

    p.s. u robbed me of the chance of commenting on that book, dude...u and ur gf contrived to rob me of the pleasures of prime brit comedy...the stiff upper lip makes for very interesting reading dude...ala pg wodehouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. uddu .. u r a dumbass.. ur ##@$&*%&(*&^^(((&(*## many decent people may read it so controlled myself..

    but alas i too have to agree u r right here, no matter how much u dislike the bitterness u have to eat the truth..

    and do u know why i always tell a teenager to study for 8 or worse 12 hrs a day.. coz i really envy them..

    neway it was a "gud read"..

    ReplyDelete
  3. the sooner u realise that ur getting older the better. u and suvro soham are better off than the rest of us atleast coz u look younger, idhar mein chote chote bache log to abhi se uncle bolne lage hain

    ReplyDelete
  4. abe uddu !!! dukhti rag chhed di be...
    do you remember how we used to look for the mother ...whenevr we saw a bachchha ... now in my case i dont know why ... nowdays whenever i saw a lady ( young ) i am more interested in the kid .. one minute its not what you are thinking its just a persistent baap type of feeling growing inside ..these days whenever i saw a cute little pyaara sa bachcha ...mera dil bas yahi kehta hai " mein kab baap banunga"
    i think its the limit of feeling old . vaise in my defence you guys always refer me as buddha .. so it justifies many things

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ deepak..
    haan be now that you mention it mere mein bhi vo feeling hai ..aajkal bache pe hi nazar jaati hai with a very paternal feeling....aaj jaise maine ek baap aur beti(class 1 ya 2 ki hogi) inko rickshaw mein aate dekha and baap beti ka question paper dekh rahaa tha...i sigh went through me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. sandy tu buddhe ki baton mein kaisse aa gaya, woh saala kido hai, uska jo paternal feeling hai woh incestuous feeling ke saath aata hoga

    ReplyDelete
  7. Remember "Black or White" from micheal jackson's dangerous album?? that was 11 years ago.. 11 years.. a song that you liked/disliked a decade before.. that was generally associated with "grown up" reminiscing.. how does that make you feel???

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ abhra ...
    ya be ...and more ..nowadays we've got movie heroines and heroes who are elder than us ....

    amazing ...

    ReplyDelete