Aug 21, 2006

An Elf's Gift

A friend of mine wanted a poem to along with a gift he was presenting someone, he asked me to write one for him. I hadn't tried one for a long time so I said why not. Somehow my poems never grew along with me, they stayed at the age of a 10-12 year old writing a rhyme. I tried something "grown-up" but then gave up.
As I wrote, the rhymes from Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory came into my head, and I decided to give that tone a try...
Not everything rhymes, but I hope you have fun reading it.

Looking high and looking low
That’s me there,
Digging with a hoe,

Searching far and Searching wide,
That’s me there,
By the ogre’s side,

Traveling near and traveling far,
That’s me there,
In that rickety car,

And then…

An elf stops me and says,
“why this hurly why this burly,
Why running for so many days…

Sit with me and have some ale
Take a breath,
And tell me your tale.”

He hears my story,
He scratches his beard,
He clicks his toes,
He wiggles his ears,
He shouts at a gnat,
And tickles a rat,
Then he even eats his hat!

And then…

He pulls out a box,
From the pocket of his little green coat,
Puts it in my hand and says…
“Give this to the lady and hope she will smile,
Or else I’ll turn into a frog for quite some while!”

You may believe my story or you may not,
But this be the way this gift I got.



I leave for those who know me to guess what I asked for in return for my services...

13 comments:

  1. Tick the most appropriate answer

    1) 115 overnight scraps
    2) A tinku without providing a cycle
    3) All of the above
    4) Cannot be determined.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. @souvik
    ooooh! close man...almost there...related stuff

    @sunny
    option 1 : definately not...one jhatka was good enuf for me..
    option 2 : infact a tinku wud do quite well along with what i asked for...as for the cycle...sorry yaar i spent most of my time in kgp walking along scholars' avenue (where only men dare to walk :D) so can't get u one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. tht was so sweet :)...i jus hope the lady smiled

    ReplyDelete
  4. truly lovely sir!!!
    one of the sandy rath specials...
    guessing that u asked for the "tonic" in return wasn't difficult

    ReplyDelete
  5. So how much do you take writing poems for others???
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. @aphrodite
    thanks :) ... well i hope so too...that would be my reward...

    @ @|\|!${-}

    anything from rs 40 to rs 60 (depending on state tax and all)...i also accept kind , if u know what i want [;)]

    ReplyDelete
  7. bein in ITC isnt it ironic you should still ask for the same stuff you used to before joining it???

    fundoo....

    love always

    ReplyDelete
  8. abe sala abhi bhi tujhe sutta hi chahiye? grow up dude :P

    nywayz rockin lil poem...sala itna creativity kahan chhupake rakhta hai...next time main koi gift dunga to ye zaroor tepunga...(b4 u ask kisko gift dene wala hoon, don't even dare to ask!)

    ~just as an aside, main kal se sutta chhod chuka hoon...boohoo...sob sob sob...(withdrawal symptoms & more...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. interesting reading..most of them

    ReplyDelete
  10. badhiya hai.. lage raho.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing man! Wiggled his ears, shouted at a gnat, tickled a rat? :)))

    So it was chilled heaven after as a payment eh? :)

    ReplyDelete