Oct 20, 2008

Tall: /tol/ adj, long from bottom to top

The little byline of my blog title is borrowed from Frank Herbert's Dune. Absolutely love it. So succinctly describes life and our constant struggle with finding some logic to all that happens around us.
Had a similar moment of realization, last night. Had gone with a friend to the nearby Starbucks. We usually order our coffees grande, and I ever bothered to find out what the other sizes were. Until, we saw one guy order mocha, tall. I couldn't quite see what was the glass he walked off with. My friend, said that 'tall' was in fact the shortest  glass available at Starbucks. I refused to believe this, I mean, there must be someone pretty educated and sensible guy up there in the Starbucks chain of command who would have come with these names, how could tall possibly be the shortest. It would be an insult to the word. Well, I was so cocksure that the world is logical, that I placed a bet, it's not possible, the tallest glass has to be 'tall' while the shortest glass could be called something else.
Alas, i walked out of the coffee shop with a lost bet, a bruised ego and  in a very confused state of mind about the affairs of the world.

12 comments:

  1. lol, I could never understand why my comforter size is 'twin' when it is for just one person. the Indian chauvinist in me will immediately brand it as *****can idiosyncrasy, or *****can stupidity, but I don't do it nowadays :D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "One more thing" that you must have got acquainted to in TX by now is - "It's all Big!":)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Small" seems to be a forbidden word

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001677.html

    This might have helped You unless you really never wanted to win "smirk smirk".


    Latino heat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I never knew what a "Happy Meal" was till I was handed a small plastic Batman by the lady at the serving counter - and yeah, this was after I had got my degree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ borna
    you remind of of Obelix, "these americans are crazy"

    @ gopal
    yup...we can add that to our chant of "it's all good"

    @varun

    yup...i did google and found out that they hate the word 'small' in here...

    @ vikram

    oh but i did want to win! I'm a very sour loser

    @ akshay
    Did the lady say, "lets put a smile on that face" as she handed you that plastic batman? [:P]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jjje baat. Hmm... its a 'tall' order this making sense of life business.

    @Dash: I reckon it must be a 'big' boil. Mwa ha ha ha ha... ho ho ho... :-P

    ReplyDelete
  9. @dash
    under what brand name do they sell it then?

    @sunny

    damn! I have created a monster!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post :) .. reminded me of the conversation between samuel l jackson and john travlota in pulp fiction ..
    Jules: Do you know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in France?
    Brett: No.
    Jules: Tell him, Vincent.
    Vincent: Royale with cheese.
    Jules: Royale with cheese. Do you know why they call it a Royale with cheese?
    Brett: Because of the metric system?
    Jules: Check out the big brain on Brett! You smart mother****; that's right! The metric system.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Actually, this kind of terminology is pretty common !

    Calling it small is just not possible .. customer must be satisfied with the amount of coffee. So even the smallest cup size must have a "satifying" name.

    Remember Sathyam? The cheapest seats are called 'premium' (next higher is 'elite')

    And hotel rooms .. cheapest ones are called 'queen size' or 'superior' or 'delux'.

    Only exception I've seen is airlines, where it's still called economy class

    ReplyDelete