Overheard on the eve of independence day,
"Independence day? Why should I fool myself , I probably won't ever do anything for my country, I'll get married, have kids, make truckloads of money and die. Tomorrow? I have a team-out dinner at work. I'm just enjoying a holiday tomorrow."
Ain't that true for almost all of us?
ReplyDeleteFor me, it was just another day; was in office. not even a holiday, and i didnt really mind much (though , the AC was low and i got fever by the evening, but that's a completely different thing).
I think the problem is we see Independence day as a thing of past,something which happened much in the past, a day when not even the parents of our generation were born...i think the connection can be established if the day is celebrated as a day with promises for the future. Agreed that we do that on media, but i feel deep down, the masses still see it first as a remembrance of the past and then second, as a day to make new promises for the future. alas, by the time you reach the second, the fast life that we live has already moved on..
hey sandy, feels good to be back after a rather long time.
ReplyDeleteYeah, we have trivialized I-Day but hopefully not to the extent of July-4. A few years down the line, who knows?