Sep 26, 2007

Malgudi Express


“The hardest of all things for a novelist to communicate is the extraordinary ordinariness of most human happiness…Jane Austen, Soseki, Chekov: a few bring it off. Narayan is one of them”. – Francis King

In spite of his abilities of insightful observations, what Mr. King possibly will not be able fathom is the rush of happy memories R K Narayan brings to someone who has grown up reading his stories.
Setting off for work today, I picked up Malgudi Days and as Chennai suburbia zipped past so did the stories roll from one to the other, bringing to life, simultaneously, the characters from a nondescript town somewhere in South India, and days from my past when I came across them.

As I read the first story, An Astrologer’s Day, I could almost see smudgy pencil marks underlining, then strange, words in my reader in class 8th. That was my first acquaintance with these words. As life went on and things started getting complicated, the words and phrases picked up undertones and connotations beyond the simple definitions I had scribbled next to them. But seeing them once again being mouthed by an astrologer who, "...sat under the boughs of a spreading tamarind tree..." the words shrugged off all the grime they had collected over the years and became virgin again, expressing only what the author intended them to.

Narayan’s earthy style enchants you twice, first with the characters and the stories themselves and second, with memories of shared ‘tiffins’ with school time crushes, pot bellied English teachers, butterflies of the night-before-exam variety, Doordarshan, wannabe rock stars giving a rendition of the Malgudi tune on their electric guitars and preparations of elocution pieces . It is said that the sense of smell has the greatest ability to bring back old memories; if it’s true then I’m sure that the stories from Malgudi carry the aroma of childhood.


11 comments:

  1. Bingo(not of the ITC kind)...malgudi days reminds me of, not only those old school days...bu my black and white weston TV set as well...all those characters ..the music ..ta naaa naa ta na na na naaa....it just plays back in ur mind...it really is amazing how quickly the things have changed...many of us have already forgotten the postman , postcards or inland letters...an integral part of so many of his stories....these stories are really great when you are all alone and just want to walk down the boulevard of those old gali muhallas of your memory...sandy da chennai mein sandy \\\"swami\\\" nahin ban jaane kaa..

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm.. I could not quite appreciate Malgudi Days. Maybe because I read it only when I was out of college. Hard to appreciate books meant for the younger mind when you have kinda overstepped that period.

    But, Gateman's Gift kinda stands out in that bbok. More so because I read that story in my Std Xth book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On our way back from PD today, my friend and I were talking about exactly the same simplicity in his books and how we enjoyed reading them in school... the conv then drifted to Three Men in a Boat and further. But imagine reading about it the very same day, all our thoughts comprehended and written down - making perfect sense - by a person as far away as Chennai. Boy! aren't the winds string today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ta na na ...na na naaa ... ta na na naaa naa naaaa.....

    chaamiii.... Kuchh aur hai kya Malgudi jaisa... anyway... have you been to the real malgudi.. if there is any?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your words seem to echo my mind. Being midway into final year, as it is, old memories seem to be gushing into my mind quiet as much as they would when i would be about to die perhaps. I remember even I had read 'the Astrologer's day'in my elder brother's English reader on the very day it was bought and I read it in the light of the lantern. I can still smell that kerosene and the crisp smell of the new book. Makes me wish our minds would remain young forever.Experience takes away so much from us, i can only fathom now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and i think that you are also someone who can express these simple joys so well as you have done with this write up. i really did enjoy reading it, for it created an escapade for me in the midst of work's numbing madness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @dots
    swami nahi banne ka...[:))]...nahi banenge dost!

    @mask
    ya gateman's gift is one of my all time favorites too

    @baff
    dude, winds from kgp flow strong in all four directions

    @deepak

    there is no real malgudi, though there are a couple of places on which he based malgudi..plan to visit them sometime

    @vagabond

    u r right, like it is said,being experienced is a big price to pay for growing up

    @babushka

    wow!! thanks! thats like the best compliment ever! you made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first introduction to R. K. Narayan was through the serial on Doordarshan. His first book I read was "A Bachelor of Arts". It was my brother's book but I used to steal it and read it.....
    Brings back memories....
    Cheerio,
    Kanan

    ReplyDelete
  10. boo hoo hoo!! bring the happiness my friend ... dont make me sento n all boo hoo-ish :)!!

    reminds me ... hav to get down abck to blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  11. kaa re naya post likhna bhul gaya hai kya...

    ReplyDelete